Madras Miscellany

Help people on your way up ! You are going to meet them on your way down !

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Are 25 - 30 The Ages to Experiment?

This is just out of the blue, some may think but no one has ever talked let alone writing about it, so let me start with it iam not writing or talking but typing it.

Why not Experiment?
Firstly the age limit in itself is the perfect one to try your experiments. I believe that after 30 or for that matter if you are married before 30 you will not be allowed to experiment. Let's just take couple of examples:

1. I have been having same hairstyle for the last 25 years i.e. side parting on the left and short hair ala Army men, but since last July I let my hair grow longer with the side parting giving way to the center one, I want a hairdo that is close to David Beckham, but my family members with the exception of my brother thought that I am a weirdo and that I am on drugs yeah that is true, My relatives comments were "Edhuku da indha paithiakara vela nee oru Iyengar, indha madhiri panna koodathu apdiye pannalum(Why this type of experiments which you are not supposed to do as you are an Iyengar?) You should be Taking the Archakar way" i.e. that I should be doing poojas at the temples and leave my ambitions.

Aren't these reasons ridiculous? People say as if I have committed murder or Stole Gold Jewels I am just trying something, which might just last for a period of 6 months Max. And then definitely my wife (if I do get married) would not allow me to sport the hairstyle that I want, so back again to the age-old army cut (In Madras lingo it's called police Kattu).

2. My friend who lives abroad tried the same thing that I tried but then he tried the shortest hair possible with some strands spiked up in front. What's wrong in experimenting? I am pretty sure he is enjoying his new look and I am pretty sure he will get back to his own inimitable style when he returns back to India to his beloved Madras.
" Dei Mr.Murugan is waiting for you".

In my father's words "Trial costs nothing", so I am just trying which won't cost me anything (May be 30*3 = 90 Rs for Murugan). The experiments can range from new hairstyle to career shift. I just think that persons who are between 25 - 30 can change their jobs or careers as they wish to any number of times till they feel that this is the one for them, just think about this for a person who is Married and over 30, it is a nightmare and believe me the amount of brickbats that will be thrown at will be countless. I personally have seen this scenario with my relative, so I suggest that you do your experiments before you are 31 and never when you are married.
By experiments I don't certainly mean trying smoking or alcohol or even unprotected sex or any unwarranted acts that would put you in the vicinity of the law. No! No! No! Do whatever you feel is good and right for you which doesn't affect others in any way or form.

I am sure people will agree with me and do post your views on this.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:26 am, Blogger Vijay said…

    Experiment involves taking risks. Therefore, what you are saying is men (in this context) can take risks by growing their hair and experiment with different hairstyles before they turn 30. Agreed. On the contrary, many men take a lifetime risk by getting married before 30 and end up having the same ‘square shaped’(madras lingo: dubba cut) hairstyle due to social obligation. So, my take on this is, guys do whatever you want with your looks before it’s too late.

    Here, haircut is very expensive, costs around 15 aud per session, approx 495 rupees. So the main reason I’m maintaining this short hair cut is coz, it considerably reduces the hair-do cycle, eventually saves me some money.

    I take this opportunity to thank murugan (owner: triplicane salon shop) for giving me the same dubba cut for almost 15 yrs. I also request all the unmarried late 20’s to start thinking about growing something ‘inside’ the head as well, otherwise long haired weirdos might have to roam around in t-shirt which reads ‘mental inside’.

     
  • At 4:45 am, Blogger Vijay said…

    I concur with santh's comment, coz it deftly is a pain in the butt to maintain long hair.

    Santh, everybody becomes wiser as they age.But i can assure you that i have not become bald if thats what you mean.

    So, sathya you have all the rights nd lefts in the world to grow your hair as long as it doesnt stink !!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home